Thursday, April 21, 2005

Lived Through Six Popes, Catholic Through Four

I confess I don't remember Pius XII at all: I was about five years old when he died, and was Protestant at the time. I remember John XXIII, and when he died. Paul VI was pope when I became Catholic in 1978. John Paul I, of course, was pope for only 33 days before his death.

John Paul II was special to me. I was a new Catholic having been received into full communion only about six months before his election. In his 26 years as the Holy Father, he was the "approachable" pope, even to those of us who never saw him in person. He took the title, "Vicar of Christ," and lived it.

My fondest memory of Pope John Paul II was seeing him on television at a youth rally in Los Angeles in the 1980's: It was the event where Tony Melendez first played and sang for him. You will recall that Tony has no arms, and plays the guitar (spectacularly) with his feet. I will never forget John Paul II exclaiming, "Tony! You are a very coo-RAH-zhus young man!" Pope John Paul II was bigger than any rock star to those kids, and he loved them all.

He had a special love for all young people: In his later years, when his health was failing, he would appear before a crowd of young people, and the reporters would remark that he looked like "the John Paul of fifteen years ago!"

Young people always were "good medicine" for John Paul II. Even on his deathbed, I'm sure that he smiled when he heard them singing out in St. Peter's Square, and said, "I have waited for you, and now you have come to me...and for this, I thank you."

When John Paul II died, we all cried. A gentle, Christ-like man had left us. It is unlikely that there will be another like him. But then, I'm sure that there doesn't need to be. God always provides for His Church, and gives us the leader needed for the time.

That man is Pope Benedict XVI, the former Cardinal Josef Ratzinger.

Pope Benedict XVI has gained a reputation in over two decades as prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith as an "enforcer" of doctrine. However, it seems that all who have met him--and I have talked to several such people in recent days--call him a gracious, humble man, who knows from whence his gifts come.

I know that some were hoping that a new pope would change doctrines and practices: Women priests, celibacy, gay marriages, etc. I rejoice that we have a pope who will, without question, maintain the faith handed down to us from the apostles.

May God bless and protect His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI, and give him the wisdom and courage he needs to guide us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home